I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything (I probably wouldn't have a few years ago, but not anymore). And I ESPECIALLY don't know everything about being a mother, or mother of two, for that matter. But, I will say this: some days I truly have myself fooled. I think I have it all under control. It seems so easy to be a mother of two well-behaved children and a little voice inside my head says "I can't wait to have another one!" (I know, don't laugh, I'm not that crazy). At times, my life seems just too good to be true - two happy and healthy children who take great naps and are patient and kind. I love most days. Most being the operative word, here.
And then out of nowhere, one of those days comes along that is an instant reminder that I am the mother of two infants - a 20-month old who has grown more attached to me (we are just two peas in a pod!) and a sweet 5-month old baby boy who depends on my for everything. And when I have a hard day at mothering my little ones, it's not just one thing that goes wrong, it's ten. I can't even get in and out of the shower without someone crying, or being thirsty, or needing a snack, or rolling over and getting stuck. Did I shampoo my hair? Did I wash my body? Did I rinse the soap off of my face? Hell, I don't know. I just know someone needs my right then. I'm always last, and that's okay, I'm supposed to be. I'm the mother. But, is it too much to ask to take a 5 minute shower? On one of these days, the answer is yes.
The good thing is, there is only 24 hours in a day. And it ends at some point (or Kevin comes home from work to find my frazzled, tired, starving, and waiting for him to pull in the driveway so I can have 5 gosh darn minutes to breathe by myself)! It seems like I've had more of these days than I've wanted lately, but they are always outnumbered by the wonderful days.
It's on these days that I am reminded that the two most miraculous blessings I have ever received are the very reason I am still learning....how to be a mother, how to be a wife, how to live. They are well worth the hard, trying days. (And thank God for great friends who remind me that I'm not crazy, just a Mom of two small children!)
1 comment:
I 2ND EVERYTHING YOU SAID =) I HAVE ONLY BEEN THE MOTHER OF 2 FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS, BUT BOY DO I KNOW WHERE YOUR COMING FROM! SOMETIMES ALL YOU CAN DO IS LAUGH IT OFF AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT "ISSUE"!
THIS MORNING AS I WAS JUST FINISHING UP BREASTFEEDING TRISTAN & GETTING HIM A FRESH DIAPER, HE DECIDED TO POOP ALL OVER ME! AND I MEAN EVERYWHERE!!! IN MY FACE, HAIR, AND ALL OVER MY BED! WHEN THEY SAY BREASTFED BABIES HAVE PROGECTILE POOP THEY ARE NOT KIDDING, LOL! THEN TO TOP IT OFF BRENNAN WALKED IN MY ROOM AND SAID, "YUCKY MOMMY, WHATS IN YOUR HAIR?"
THESE ARE THE DAYS YOU JUST HAVE TO LAUGH! THANK GOODNESS I WAS ABLE TO GET THAT 5 MINUTE SHOWER TODAY ;) TAKE CARE GIRL...YOUR A GREAT MOMMY & WIFE!
Post a Comment