On the nights she does wake me up, I walk her back to her room and lay with her. She has gotten into a bad habit of not wanting to fall asleep without one of us laying with her. We are certainly not used to this, as she has always been the baby/child that could be put in her crib wide awake and she would fall asleep on her own minutes later. This is also the child who sleeps in so long, I would typically have to wake her up so I had enough time to get her ready for preschool. She loves her sleep (like her Mommy) but lately, she has this unexplained pattern of interrupted sleep.
Tonight, I had to hold the door to her room shut for a few minutes (yes, I know, sounds tragic!) after she "went to sleep" because she got up and came to the door exclaiming that she "needed to go lay in Mommy and Daddy's bed"....Although it sounded very cute that she "needed" us, I guess she realized she wasn't going to win that battle and eventually gave up and got back in bed. So, as we struggle with our two year old who has made up her mind that she loves Mommy and Daddy's bed much more than her own, I am reminded that if this is the worst thing I have to deal with each night, I will make it through. Children are a blessing and it's easy to forget that when things seem "tough"...
But, I'm sure somebody, somewhere has it much more worse than I do. And for that I am trying hard to be thankful. These are the times I realize it is much harder to be a good parent than it is to be a bad one. Because I'm so tired at the end of every day, I so badly want to say, "Okay, just go get in Mommy and Daddy's bed!"...but that would eventually lead to more issues, I'm sure. So, for now, I'll just hold the door shut every night after Lily goes to bed and hope that she soon grows out of her "need" of being in my bed.
It's hard to have tough love with these kids, but somebody's gotta do it! ;)
UPDATE: (July 29, 2009) I spent my night (again) in a full sized bed with a pretty little girl that rolled over every few seconds to make sure I was still there. Oh, I hope the end of this is in sight!
I love this song. It's so true!
6 comments:
I feel for you....We went through the same thing right before Tristan was born. It was AWFUL. When he finally realized that he wasn't going to be allowed to sleep in bed with us he insisted upon sleep on the couch! It eventually ended, but it was tough. Good luck :)
oh lord... the pregnancy hormones are getting to me. I just balled like a baby listening to that song. It's so true though- just enjoy her being so little and wanting to be around you all the time.. "it won't be like this for long..."
I feel your sleep pain! It will get better... it must right?
Riya has been doing the same thing for almost a year. I stopped taking her back to her bed when she'd stumble into our room in the middle of the night b/c she has to be away from her dad so much- so I figure...who cares. If she wants to snuggle in between us while she has both of us- why not? And of course, when we're in NC I make her sleep with me b/c I get so lonely. lol. So I guess I ask for it. ;)
She looks EXACTLY like you in that picture too ;)
We had the same problem with Penny so I put a gate in her door. She can't get out but don't feels like I am holding her in. A few night of crying and me climbing over the gate a few times to lay her down in her bed and the bad habit was over... Find a plan that works for you and stick to it... If we have the bad idea to get her out just once... it;s all over and we have to restart from step 1! Good luck!!!
I have this song on my blog- makes me cry every time!
Post a Comment